Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Potty Learning

We aren't potty training just yet at my house. However, we are learning a lot. I've always said I'm not going to worry about potty training until Liam is 3. There is a lot of research and practical advice out there about how little boys take longer to potty train than girls, and it's just plain easier on everyone if you wait until they are 3. My pediatrician backed me up on this, so I feel justified. With that said, Liam's cousins are potty trained, at least they are trying. So I've felt that mommy guilt about how Liam should be as far along as them, so we are working on it (albeit half-heartedly). I've learned that Liam is 99% potty trained if he runs around naked. I'm not the first mom to figure this out. Which is why so many parents wait until the summer to potty train.

On to the good part of the story...
Liam was outside yesterday playing in his wading pool. I was inside by the glass door enjoying the a/c while keeping an eye on him. I probably wasn't watching as closely as I should, but with as much noise as he makes, I don't worry until I can't hear him anymore. I was talking on the phone with my mom when Liam rushes in and announces, "I pooped just in time!" He was very pleased with himself. So I respond, "Did you?" In that excited, what-are-we-talking-about, mom tone. Tutu (aka my mom) asks what he said. So I tell her as I'm getting up to see what Liam's talking about. When we get outside, he explains, "I pooped on the sidewalk." Sure enough, Liam's extra soft (due to his high fruit intake) poo is all over the corner of the patio. I can only assume he needed to poo and was very pleased that it didn't happen in his pool. He was fascinated that I cleaned it off with the water hose. And when Daddy got home from work about 5 minutes later, Liam proudly told him of the poop on the sidewalk.

At least it wasn't the carpet.

2 comments:

lilybsmommy said...

Too funny! Go Liam... I started a blog too when Lily was born. We are like you and Dave when you were in Hawaii, away from family who want to see pics of the baby... Please tell your hubby I say hi!!!

Becky at "Cheese My Head" said...

Are you totally creeped out that I found your blog?! I have a sitemeter on my blog and someone followed the link from your blog to mine. Viola! I found your blog! Yeah! I'm looking forward to more posts :)