We had the opportunity to go camping with some good friends in Hodges Gardens State Park here in Louisiana. Oddly enough, they have beautiful gardens. While the adults were perfectly happy to look at every different flower and leaf, it's very hard for little boys to take the time to stop and smell the flowers (HA!). Running ahead through the paths, Liam was constantly being told he needed to stay within sight and to slow down. And to be honest, David and I were at wits end with him. He just didn't bring his listening ears camping.
Then, as is known to happen when you don't listen, something happened. I only wish I'd been there. By the time I arrived there was just a soaking wet, and completely embarrassed, boy. Well, here, check out the crime scene.
Looks like grass doesn't it.
I mean, adult context clues, would say not to just go running off into it.
Little boys don't understand context clues. Especially ones that aren't listening.
David wasn't far behind him, just far enough not to stop him from stepping off the path. There were some other guests to the park there to witness the event as well. About waist deep in the muck, Liam came out with moss all over and up in his clothes. And without shoes. One of the other guests commented, "Didn't he have on shoes?" So Daddy dug around in the muck to find them. They were his red crocs. It would have been the end of the world without them. After we went back to the campground, discussing all the while about how if he'd just listen and parents know best and all those lectures I remember well from childhood, we changed his clothes and suddenly he had a much better outlook on parental advice. (At least for the rest of the day.)





No comments:
Post a Comment